Adrian and Belinda have tied the knot pursuant to a civil ceremony of marriage registered under Law Reform (Marriage and Divorce) Act 1976 (hereinafter known as ‘1976 Act’). Two children were born from the marriage. Adrian then decided to convert himself together with his eldest child to Islam. Belinda was shocked with the matter and could not adapt to the changes. She decided to file a divorce against Adrian two (2) months later. Can she do that?


According to Section 51(1) of 1976 Act, the party who has not converted to Islam may petition for divorce provided that the petition shall only be presented upon a period of three (3) months from the date of the conversion.
Thus Belinda has to wait for another month in order to file her divorce petition.

So, how much did you know about this Legal Myth?

Share with us your thoughts and feedback to us. Ask us a question on AskCA@Thursday or suggest a Myth Buster for us.